Manager, System Application and Development
Location(s)Montreal, QC (Canada)
Job DescriptionReporting to the Director, Information Technologies, the incumbent is accountable to deliver IT business systems according to the Service Level Agreement criteria.
- Lead a team of application developers to build, enhance, and maintain Velan’s business systems.
- Supervise, train, and coach/mentor staff as required, ensuring team is meeting or exceeding goals and expectations.
- Establish project priorities in conjunction with the Director and the business units.
- Act as a Lead Business Analyst when required.
- Hire, staff, and manage a skilled team of IT professionals by fostering the development of teamwork and technical skills.
- Plan and manage all projects requiring application development.
- Set programming standards and manage the code base.
- Ensure the quality of our internal applications and certain external applications (issues with daily management, performance, stability of production environment, etc.)
- Ensure system documentation is sufficient enough to maintain system requirements and define functionality for ongoing training, support, and development.
- Ensure the scalability of the application systems and the technologies.
- Ensure sustainable integration with other existing and planned application systems, and a suitable architecture to monitor data quality and report inconsistencies.
- Research, design, and implement the appropriate technologies to support and improve access to information and end-user productivity.
- Assist in developing and managing a budget for software, hardware, IT personnel, and external services.
- Liaise with vendors and service providers to ensure efficient and cost-effective acquisition of technology purchases; oversee warranties and service agreements.
- Stay informed on new or emerging trends and business solutions and software that provide clear benefits to the organization, business partners, and/or customers
- Participate in the creation and delivery of business cases for business solutions and software acquisitions.
- Create status reports as required; present findings to senior management.
- Plan end-user training as required.
- Act as an advocate for IT department and its initiatives.
- Other duties as request.
- Minimum of 10 years of direct work experience in an IT management.
- Bachelor’s degree in IT or a related field of study or equivalent experience, or DEC in IT Operation with more experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication in French/English
- Project Management.
- Ability to explain technical concepts and theories to non-technical audiences.
- ERP and other enterprise systems (advanced knowledge).
- Technical platforms, programming languages, information systems and software packages, middleware and communications, DBMS, collaborative portals.
- Programming concepts, software development cycles, and associated tools and platforms.
- SQL databases.
- Familiar with development methodologies (RUP, Agile…).