Business Partner, Human Resources & Health, Safety, and Environment
Location(s)Granby, QC (Canada)
Reporting to the Director, Human Resources and Organizational Development, the Business Partner will be responsible for implementing human resources strategies in accordance with Velan's overall business objectives. The business partner will join two teams: a team of human resources, labor relations, organizational development and internal communications professionals as one of the group's managers, responsible for regional mandates and certain corporate mandates; and a team of health and safety professionals located in Canadian plants and at the head office in Montreal.
The incumbent will carry out responsibilities in functional areas of human resources (HR) such as staffing (recruitment and retention), labor relations between employees, compensation, management of benefit programs and in areas of health, safety and the environment (HSE) related to the Granby manufacturing plant in functional areas such as the administration of safety training, monitoring of certifications and licenses, and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OHSA) worker's compensation reports and record keeping.
- Take responsibility for the implementation of different HR technology systems as part of a multi-year HR technology roadmap.
- Assume the leadership of certain corporate mandates.
- Apply and enforce employee policies, ensuring compliance with federal and state laws.
- Ensure legal compliance of human resources practices by monitoring and implementing applicable federal and state employment laws.
- Manage the on-site hiring process, including drafting and posting job offers, pre-screening applications based on relevance, scheduling and interviewing, consulting with managers and recruiting supervisors on the selection of candidates and the preparation of letters of offer.
- Prepare and process new hire documents and lead the onboarding process, including drug and background checks, as well as onboarding new employees.
- Update work requirements and job descriptions for all positions.
- Manage the employee termination process, including exit interviews, communication of final verification requirements, and prompt response to unemployment claims and hearings.
- Advise members of the management team on the interpretation of human resources policies, programs and procedures.
- Serve as the point of contact in labor relations for union leadership, including communication and interpretation of the collective agreement, handling of grievances and general engagement with the union in collaboration with the senior advisor, labor relations.
- Serve as the employee point of contact for all employees regarding problem solving, information provision and performance management.
Health, Safety and Environment (HSE)
- Act as a collaborative partner in a distributed team of HSE professionals.
- Chair the Joint Health and Safety and HSE Management Review Committee.
- Maintain ISO 45001 and ISO 14001 certifications.
- Prepare and coordinate the audits (internal and / or external) and inspections of the HSE.
- Manage the software associated with the HSE.
- Ensure compliance with OSHA standards.
- Coordinate efforts related to the factory emergency response plan.
- Coordinate efforts related to workplace risk assessments.
- Ensure constant compliance with company procedures and work-related instructions.
- Ensure compliance in a team-oriented environment.
- Train employees in HSE best practices.
- Perform all other duties related to maintaining a healthy and safe environment for all employees, contractors and visitors.
- Support supervisors in the accident analysis investigation process.
- Office work environment; and,
- Overtime needed in peak periods.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, industrial relations, human resources, health and safety or comparable experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of Human Resources experience.
- CHRA,/CRIA HRCI and/or SHRM certification preferred.
- Knowledge and ability to interpret OSHA standards.
- General knowledge of automatic guard.
- Fluency in French.
- Knowledge of English is desirable, but not essential.
- Excellent technological skills, especially with Microsoft Office.
- Good relationship management skills with the ability to educate, coach and motivate team members.
- Demonstration of written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate tactfully and diplomatically.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and support change effort.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and professionalism in difficult situations.
Is dedicated to meeting the needs and expectations of internal and/or external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
Drive for Results
Takes actions to meet and exceed goals and expectations; is bottom-line oriented; strives for continuous improvement to make products, services, and work practices more efficient and effective; steadfastly pushes self for results.
Teamwork & Cooperation
Is willing and able to work cooperatively and supportively with colleagues; develops positive and open relationships with team members to solve problems and achieve business goals.
Flexibility & Change
Is able to adapt and respond positively to a variety of situations and people to meet changing priorities; adapts to new ways of working to deliver the desired results.
Is able to learn quickly when facing new problems; is a relentless and versatile learner; analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement; enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks; quickly grasps the essence of complex situations.