Manager, Cost Accounting and Budget
Location(s)Montreal, QC (Canada)
Reporting to the Vice President, Finance, the incumbent will be responsible for finalizing the implementation of a cost accounting system and putting in place the cost accounting function. The cost accounting function drives costing oversight, compliance and supports the analytics for manufacturing finance. The incumbent will also lead the preparation, administration and monitoring of operating and capital budgets.
- Lead the strategic direction of the Cost Accounting Department.
- Mentor, train and develop centralized cost accounting professionals notably by providing technical guidance and ensuring consistent application of cost accounting principles.
- Oversee the analysis of manufacturing variances and the capitalization of variances.
- Develop new, robust processes to drive implementation and productivity in the cost accounting function.
- Identify and drive process improvement initiatives.
- Prepare ad hoc reporting and analyses.
- Assist team with research on cost accounting questions and on special projects as requested. • Review work and conduct goal setting, performance evaluations and career development discussions for team.
- Coordinate the development of the operating and capital budgets and assist departmental managers in the development and administration of their budgets.
- Provide support in the development of business proposals.
- Monitor budgets of all programs and provide the departmental managers with regular reports.
- Prepare consolidated quarterly forecasts with analysis against budget and actuals, with presentation to the Board at their quarterly meetings.
Key Performance Indicators
- Successful implementation of cost accounting system and processes; and,
- Successful development of yearly budgets.
- Office work environment; and,
- Overtime required in peak periods.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- MBA is an asset.
- CPA certification is an asset.
- 7-10 years of direct experience in accounting, reporting, and costing leadership within a large, professionally managed operating company.
- Proven work experience as a Budget Manager.
- Demonstrated experience in a large, multinational, heavily matrixed organization.
- Demonstrated success attracting, recruiting, developing, and retaining high-potential talent.
- Prior experience working with ERP financial software.
- In-depth knowledge of IFRS, cost accounting, and financial reporting for a manufacturing organization.
- Strong knowledge of cost accounting principles including capitalization of variances, E&O reserves, and experience with rolling standard costs.
- Knowledge of accounting best practices and regulations.
- Knowledge in programming (SQL, DAX).
- Knowledge of MS Excel (specifically, advanced formulas, pivot tables and charts) and Power BI.
- Familiar with forecasting methods and data analysis.
- Knowledge of Infor LN (ERP System) is an asset.
- Bilingual in French and English, with exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills especially during negotiation and conflict resolution skills in large matrix organizations.
- Excellent numeracy skills with an attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong team building skills and proven ability to work with a diverse group of people in a global-matrixed environment.
- Ability to influence and engage business partners, peers, and direct/indirect reports.
- Ability to effectively interface with senior management.
- Ability to explain budgeting and financial information in plain terms.
- Ability to work independently, problem solve and be results oriented.
Is dedicated to meeting the needs and expectations of internal and/or external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
Drive for results
Takes actions to meet and exceed goals and expectations; is bottomline oriented; strives for continuous improvement to make products, services, and work practices more efficient and effective; steadfastly pushes self for results.
Teamwork & Cooperation
Is willing and able to work cooperatively and supportively with colleagues; develops positive and open relationships with team members to solve problems and achieve business goals.
Flexibility & Change
Is able to adapt and respond positively to a variety of situations and people to meet changing priorities; adapts to new ways of working to deliver the desired results.
Is able to learn quickly when facing new problems; is a relentless and versatile learner; analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement; enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks; quickly grasps the essence of complex situations.
Enabling Strategic Competencies
Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad perspective; is future oriented; can accurately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
Is not afraid to take charge when required; does whatever it takes to get the job done despite resistance; takes unpopular stands if necessary; faces difficult situations with guts and tenacity; encourages direct and tough debate but is not afraid to end it and move on; is looked to for direction in a crisis; enjoys leading.
Makes good and timely decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds development discussions with subordinates; develops compelling development plans and executes them; brings out the best in people.
Enabling Specific Competencies
Managing & Measuring
Clearly assigns responsibility for tasks and decisions; sets clear objectives and measures; monitors process, progress, and results appropriately; delivers timely and objective feedback on accomplishments.