Truck Driver (Day Shift – Temporary)
Location(s)Montreal, QC (Canada)
Velan is looking for a candidate to fill a Truck Driver position (day shift, temporary position) at its Montreal plant.
Reporting to the Shipping Foreman, the incumbent will be responsible for deliveries, pick-up and transportation to, from and between Velan's plants, customers, docks, suppliers and carry the company's mail.
- Handle materials, including the loading and unloading of platforms, containers and trucks, manually and by using appropriate mechanized lifting and transport equipment;
- Obtain and identify merchandise;
- Verify their compliance with transport documents and packing slips;
- Follow and comply with all customs rules and procedures and assist customs officers in the verification of the merchandise;
- Report any deviations in the material being transported to the supervisor;
- Ensure protection of goods against damage during transport or handling;
- Report any vehicle or component malfunctions to the supervisor and arrange for immediate repair if required;
- Performs normal truck maintenance such as cleaning and servicing and maintains appropriate workbook;
- Maintain vehicle in good repair and operating condition and perform other simple and related duties as directed;
- Act as an ambassador for safety in the workplace by complying with the measures in force at the plants.
Qualifications and skills
- High School Diploma;
- Minimum five (5) years recent varied experience in the operation of a tractor-trailer unit and valid driver's license as required by Law or other certifying agencies;
- Minimum classes: 1 - 2 – 3 - 4-A - 4-B - 4-C;
- Must have clean driving record for past five (5) years and be capable of being bonded;
- Must be capable to work with export, import and other customs paperwork.
Note: A practical or theoretical test could be required.